Saturday, February 2, 2008

Pushing Past the Cobwebs

Slowly, slowly I'm waking up from my hibernation. My head is beginning to think less about bathroom tile and sheetrock and stud grade 2x4's, and more about seeds and potting mix and tractor tires.

I also had an offer this winter to go back to being an advertising copywriter, which stole my concentration for a while. But I decided it wasn't for me. The job probably would have been great -- working with one of my best friends in his creative department for more money than I ever used to make back when I was still in it. I'm hoping that maybe we could work out a seasonal/part time arrangement or something. Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt to inquire.

So anyway, I'm back in the New York groove here, getting ready for the '08 season. Calling chefs, meeting new chefs, ordering seeds and so forth. Here's my new thing:



Behold, The Mexican Sour Gherkin, or "Cuke Nut". Thanks to Chad from Footjoy Farm, also here in Sparta, for teaching me all about it. Luckily, I don't have to compete with Chad, he sends his stuff in the opposite direction to Minneapolis. (That photo is courtesy of the Seed Savers Exchange, by the way)

So hopefully I'll be dropping by here more often to disturb the crickets and leave some posts. If anyone is reading this -- besides the crickets, of course -- don't be afraid to leave a comment. Nothing worse than blogging to yourself.

No comments: