Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Mad at My Tomatoes

Usually mad ABOUT my tomatoes. (80-some varieties, yadda yadda yadda) But not this time.

I'm a bit...disappointed in them right now. I feel they aren't quite living up to their potential. Today was the day. The day they were going to be ready to ship. But outside of maybe 2 dozen Black Cherries and one nearly-ripened Black Prince, I got squat.

I know by next Monday I'll have 20 or 30 lb. ready to ship. And by next Thursday I'll have hundreds of pounds of every imaginable color, shape, size and flavor of tomato ripe and ready to eat.

But I wanted them now.

Oh well, that Black Prince has already been earmarked for a bacon, basil and tomato sammy for Friday's lunch. That'll make me feel better.

9 comments:

Kirsten said...

i am mad at my tomatoes too. well, they taste good but the foliage is so spindly and i havent produced that many tomatoes as a result. back to you

216 Cottage St. said...

What variet(ies)y are they?

Kirsten said...

i dont know! 1 was a bullshit heirloom but i dont know which one. 1 was an early bloomer which came no earlier than the others. i think i have 1 token big boy or some regular large tomato, and then i have cherry tomatoes.

Kirsten said...

my verb tense usage leaves a lot to be desired...

216 Cottage St. said...

A "bullshit heirloom"? Wha...?

Kirsten said...

well i say bullshit because it said it was an heirloom but it turned out to be a regular tomato. i should have been clearer!

Kirsten said...

so i am on this caffeine overdose and laughing at my follow up because i dont know what a regular tomato is. but i don't think i have the heirloom because there is nothing characteristically cool about it. its not super wrinkled at the top or purlply or half red half yellow... nothing. just a plain red tomato. even with my charlie brown tomato plants- the cherry tomatoes taste like candy this week!

216 Cottage St. said...

Could be a Wisconsin-55 or a Cosmonaut Volkov...or a Stupice. Or an Arkansas Traveler. Or one of thousands of heirloom reds.

Probably an Early Girl or a Celebrity, though.

Kirsten said...

THATS IT!! I have both of those! you are so smart...